Remember that it is always better to exercise when it comes to relieving sciatic pain than stay in bed. If you have sciatic pain it is allowed staying in bed for a couple of days, but after that time period, being inactive will usually make the pain worse. Being inactive you make the back muscles and spinal structures deconditioned and they become less able to support the back.
The deconditioning is a process that can cause weakening, strain and even back injury. All of the above-mentioned will only bring more pain. Furthermore, being active and exercising frequently plays a good role for the health of your spinal discs. When you move or exercise, nutrients and fluids within the discs exchange and that makes them healthy and helps prevent pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Any sciatica exercise programs must include the following:
- Core muscle work out. Sciatica exercises are designed to strengthen the abdominal and back muscles. This helps provide more support for the back. You should also stretch sciatica target muscles, since they cause pain in tight and inflexible condition. If you have sciatica you should be active and devoted to exercise (exercise regularly). But please, remember only gentle strengthening and stretching exercises will help. These exercises will help you recover more quickly and eliminate pain in the future.
- Particular diagnosis. Each case of sciatica is different and so different parts of body are affected. That is why it is important to find a particular exercise routine for you. And aim that exercise at your particular pain. In some cases people have such problems as a lumbar herniated disc or spinal stenosis. If you do different exercise routine (the one aimed at different muscles of your body) your sciatica can get worse. So please consult your doctor and get an accurate diagnosis prior to starting sciatica exercise routine.
- Hamstring stretching. Regardless of the diagnosis, most types of sciatica will benefit from a regular routine of hamstring stretching. The hamstrings are muscles located in the back of the thigh. Overly tight hamstrings increase the stress on the low back and often aggravate or even cause some of the conditions that result in sciatica.
- Exercise properly. Please pay attention to the way you do exercises. Every sciatica exercise routine should be done properly and aimed at specific muscles and parts of your body. Otherwise you are just wasting your time or in some cases it may even increase your pain. Please get in touch with trained health practitioner (physical therapist, chiropractor or physiatrist) in order to determine proper sciatica exercise routine for you.
- Aerobic exercises. In addition to sciatica exercise routine that you have worked out you may need aerobic exercises. Aerobic exercises are a great way to improve your body fitness in general. And it is a great exercise for your low back. Walking is the simplest and cheapest of all exercises, and making it a regular activity and focusing on the intensity or distance covered can greatly increase your fitness. But remember don’t overload your body, increase your walking distance gradually adding a little bit to it each day.
Category: Sciatica exercises